Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Increase Business Through Networking!

Looking for a way to meet new prospects? Go to a networking event!

It instantly creates personal relationships. You aren't just a name on a card or a business on the internet. You are a real person and the companies who are focusing on building personal relationships are the ones doing more business.

I attended my first one just two weeks ago. A monthly networking group put together by the Silicon Valley Small Business Development Center. There were about 75-100 people who attended and the cost is FREE. Businesses of different sizes and stages were there. Startups, established businesses, small businesses to large businesses. Yes, anyone can attend!

I had my reservations about going since I hadn't attended a networking function before. I had almost talked myself out of it, but decided I had nothing to lose and glad I went.

It was a great experience. The food was great, the people were nice. Everyone is there for the same reason making it really easy to start up a conversation.

They even had a quick 15 minute talk about tips on doing business in tough times. Then separated us up in small groups of 6-8 people where we were given 2 topics to discuss which made it easy to break the ice. We all passed out our business cards to each other and talked about our businesses and challenges and how we are overcoming them. There were some great ideas and it was reassuring to know that everyone was facing the same challenges.

In just 1-1/2 hours I walked away with 3 good contacts. One is placing his first order with me this week!

I am already thinking about what will make your business more memorable at these events. For starters wear a shirt with your logo on it. Seeing, not just hearing your company name will help your prospects remember you. Handing out a useful promotional product will keep your name in front of them and initiates the law of reciprocity. Everyone hands out a business card. Do something different!

There are several networking groups out there. I have been told www.infobayarea.com has great networking events. I was introduced to the owner, Cesar Plata, and definitely plan on attending.

There is a FREE networking class this Thursday from 8:00-9:30 through the Business Journal. Go to: http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/event/6302 to receive more info. and to register.

If you have attended any free or low cost networking groups that you feel are will help others let me know and I will post their info. on my blog.

Find a networking group that your potential prospects attend and get out there!

To your success,
Shana Anderson
Complete Workplace, Inc.
T:408.586.9464
F:408.212.9601
E-mail: shana@completeworkplace.com
http://www.completeworkplace.com/

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home